Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody take Claritin-D

Default Anybody take Claritin-D

I've never had to take allergy medicines before, and my doctor told me a few days ago to take Claritin-D to help clear up my sinuses. If you have, or are currently taking Claritin-D, did you notice any side effects, changes?

Having taken nearly every OTC allergy medication, I would have to say in terms of effectiveness, it's about the same as any of the others. For me, anti-histamines work a bit more effectively for simply stopping allergy symptoms than decongestants, but decongestants of any brand do a better job of thinning-out mucous when the sinuses are clogged.

As far as side-effects go, I personally didn't have any. Since it's a decongestant and not an anti-histamine you shouldn't have any trouble with drowsiness.

I've taken it for allergies and it worked well for me with no side effects.
    Moshi Moshi

4. Default

i've taken that brand before and they're great just don't take them when you go to bed. you won't get any sleep. while at least that's what happened to me though.

I have chronic allergies and was first put on Claritin when I was 10 (it used only come in liquid in a huge bottle). Claritin-D works pretty well for me, although this year I switched to Zyrtec-D cuz I'm having an unusually rough season this year.

The only side effect with Claritin-D that I've had is that sometimes it's a bit too strong and will make my throat dry/sore, but I usually don't mind it because my nose is clear. I found more problems with this particular side effect when I took Claritin-D 24 hr, as opposed to Claritin-D 12 hour. Also, check out target, they have a great, cheap, off brand.

stop taking D unless you really need it. i used to take it on a regular basis and my blood pressure got high. now i only take it when necessary and have started taking regular allergy pills every day during high seasonal allergy times to keep my junk from stopping up.

you feel me?

I'm with Chadhot... I used to take Claritin-D every day. It a) made my blood pressure higher than it should have been; and b) it dried me out so much it actually GAVE me sinus infections.

Normal Claritin is perfect for my daily allergy needs. Only take the Claritin-D when you're super-stuffy.
    Official Member of the Showmen's League Of America since 2007.

I'm not allergic to anything that I know of. I had gotten sick for a week, then the week after that, I'd been having headaches lasted for 2 more weeks (and counting) when my doctor said it was most likely a sinus headache, said that my left sinus area was narrow. I'm taking the 24 hr kind for 5 days so far, I don't know if there is a difference, though.

Have you tried nasal irrigation? Basically you can buy this thing called a neti pot at the drug store and they come with salt packets. You use it to rinse your nasal passages with salt water. It's a little weird, but very effective. My doctor said there have been studies that have shown nasal irrigation is more effective at curing sinus infections then antibiotics. But you have to do it twice a day to see results.

If the 24 hour claritin isn't working then try something else. Different anti-histamines work better for different people. I also think that tylenol makes an allergy headache medicine you could try.

excellent advice with the nasal irrigation. i got the squeeze bottle version b/c it seems to clear things better than the neti but if you get too aggressive it can force water into your ears which is weird.

and i'd stop the D if it hasn't done anything for you yet.