PDA

View Full Version : Classes This workshop are those who want to be great improvisers.

Jimmy Carrane
12-11-2008, 09:24 PM
IT'S NOT ABOUT BEING FUNNY. Jimmy Carrane

When I was starting out improvising in 1984, I was told 'itís not about being funny.'
I didn't get it.
I didn't listen.
I didn't trust it.
I was on my own path, and after failing miserably in hundreds of classes and thousands of shows, I decided to surrender.

Because the performers I admired the most were not only great improvisers they were great actors.
Meaning you believed everything that came out of their mouths.
They reacted emotionally.
They were so focused on listening to their partner, and building the scene together that 'the funny just came.'
It came from a different place.
It came from not trying.
It came organically.
These improvisers stood out from the rest.
They had a confidence and presence and were always the most interesting to watch on stage.

These are the basic principles of The Art of Slow Comedy.
So, If you want to save yourself some time on your way to becoming a great improviser, my next six week workshop starts Sunday, January 11th from 6-9pm. at the Second Training Center.
Tuition is $310.
Class size limited to 14 to ensure personal attention.
To register call 312-664-3959

***Jimmy Carrane*is co-author of*Improvising Better: A Guide to the Working Improviser.*He is the host of Studio 312 on Chicago Public Radio. In addition to teaching*The Art of Slow Comedy*at The Second City, he has taught at IO-Chicago, The Annoyance and Victory Gardens. His film and TV credits includes Public Enemies, ER, Natural Born Killers, Early Edition, and Stash.