PDA

View Full Version : Worrisome...

VinRigan
10-20-2008, 03:54 PM
McCarthyism 2.0:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/17/gop-rep-channels-mccarthy_n_135735.html

Voter Fraud, done right:
http://www.sundaygazettemail.com/News/200810180251

Is anyone else worried about this stuff? I kinda think there's going to be a riot or something, if/when Obama wins, or that there's going to be some massive voter fraud perpetrated to keep him from winning. I mean, outright switching votes and denying people printouts of their ballots?

It's a bit scary. Somebody please quell my fears... because I have no idea what can be done, at this stage. I'd really love to not have a revisit of the 2000 election.

Steev
10-20-2008, 04:41 PM
This post is an OBVIOUS show plug for Theater Momentum... NICE TRY, TONY!!!

kremidas
10-20-2008, 05:29 PM
This may help quell your fears.

Obama is hiring a team of thousands of lawyers to monitor the election in swing states.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a.hk4HvCkpiE&refer=home

The DNC is filing lawsuit against republicans for a form of voter disenfranchisement in Michigan.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/16/obama-files-suit-over-gop_n_126865.html

Also, Obama is a former civil rights attorney who handled election cases and therefore understands, perhaps more than Gore and Kerry before him, how to fight voter/election fraud.

The message to republicans seems to be "We know what you're doing and you aren't going to get away with it."

Jels
10-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Slight correction on Kremidas comments: thousands of lawyers are volunteering their time to serve in a voter protection capacity on election day as part of the "Counsel for Change" group.

I'll be in Toledo a week before the election through election day and another one of my lawyer friends will be volunteering in Ohio, too. I wish I could be at HQ on election night - but my lawyer skillz are needed elsewhere.

Truth to Power, baby!

P.S. If Bachmann's comments alarm/anger/grosses you out, consider contributing to El Tinkleberg's campaign. He's running against her in Minnesota's 6th Congressional district.

Schoolyj
10-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Bachman has been a regular head on the news networks for a few weeks now. She's one of those crazy right-wingers like Bay Buchanan and Coulter who say shit that is so far outside reality that it's almost impossible to refute, and does so with a cheery smile fixed on their face the whole time.

davec
10-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Did you see that Bachman woman's interview? She wasn't launching a McCarthyist attack - she was trying to stay on the talking points, and Matthews forced her to connect the dots. She didn't just come on to say that Obama was anti-American - she made a mistake, Matthews pressed her and instead of backing down, he got her to say something she didn't originally mean to say.

Her goal is to say, "obama's friends are anti-American" and then "obama and the democrats are far lefters." The implication is supposed to be that far lefters = anti-American, but not to ever connect them. Matthews got her to connect the dots. I think it's a gross story because of what it implies the GOP talking points are, but I dont' think she was actually calling for a McCarthyist investigation.

And those "flipped votes?" I think the problem with computerized voting is that old people are going to have a hard time with them and then blame the machine. Just like old people sometimes hit the gas and slam through their garage doors and then insist they were pressing the brake. (I forget which one, but they recalled a certain kind of car because old people kept doing that.)

Neither of these stories are terrifying. The McCain campaign is launching a very gross attack on Obama. We knew that. Old people and computers are enemies. We knew that.

If there's voter fraud enough to turn this election with Obama's current lead, we're going to need of a total revolution because our government been completely overthrown by the GOP. I don't think that's the case.

I've noticed a lot of hysterics and hyperbole out of my fellow dems and lefties, and let's remember this: We need to calm down and be better than them. I want Obama to win because he's right. I don't want him (or the left) to stop being right so that we can win...

Chip
10-20-2008, 08:24 PM
I've noticed a lot of hysterics and hyperbole out of my fellow dems and lefties, and let's remember this: We need to calm down and be better than them. I want Obama to win because he's right. I don't want him (or the left) to stop being right so that we can win...

My thoughts exactly. The RNC seems to have the philosophy of "we do what we have to to win. Then we get to do what we want when we're in power.

Obama's campaign has been steadfastly opposed to that rationale. You campaign on your beliefs and the issues, and the people decide which person they think would run the country better. That's been one of the biggest factors of why I support Obama. I mean, if he weren't that way, I'd probably still vote Democrat. But I wouldn't "support" him, so to speak.

Also, Bachmann say McCain was "extremely funny" on Letterman. Can we take issue with that? Where is this woman's sense of humor that McCain (who was nervous as hell on Letterman) was extremely funny. Come on, people!

speedymarie
10-20-2008, 08:49 PM
http://punditkitchen.wordpress.com/files/2008/09/political-pictures-barack-obama-chill-out-got-this.jpg