View Full Version : Learn the Meisner Approach to Acting -- the OTHER Improv

greenshirtstudio
08-20-2008, 12:23 AM
Study the Meisner Approach to Acting
@
Green Shirt Studio

“Every little moment has a meaning all its own.”
–Sanford Meisner

MAKE CONTACT with your impulses and get out of your head.

EXPERIENCE true spontaneity, authentic communication and genuine emotion.

EXPAND your acting and improvising through this unique, visceral approach.

IMMERSE yourself in the acting approach studied by David Mamet, Robert Duvall, Sydney Pollack and many more.

When: Sundays from 7:30-10:30 PM
Where: The 4600 Block of N. Ravenswood. We'll give you the full address when you reserve your spot (Sorry, but no gate-crashers).

Session 1: Living Truthfully (September 14th – November 16th)
Sanford Meisner created an innovative, step-by-step series of improvisational exercises that work to train actors into being thoroughly responsive, emotionally alive, spontaneous and absolutely grounded in the reality of what is happening at any given moment with any given person. In our first ten weeks together we will guide you through the foundational exercises and help you get out of your head and into being truly present and responsive to the world around you and the people you share it with.

Session 2: Under Imaginary Circumstances (November 23rd – February 8th)
Meisner said that, “Acting is living truthfully under imaginary circumstances.” The first ten weeks are dedicated primarily to the first half of that statement and, in these second ten weeks we will begin to explore the latter half of it. New elements will be added to the exercises that will work to broaden your imagination, exercise your faith in fictional circumstances, and ground your acting in your own unique point of view.

Session 3: Improvisation with text (February 15th – April 26th)
As you continue to work through the advanced exercises, we will begin to show you ways to bring the improvisational nature of Meisner’s work to actual scripts, by turning the script into an improvisation with words. Once again, Meisner has laid out a unique step-by-step approach that will teach you tools to break out of cliché line-readings and into spontaneous, emotionally alive, authentic and fulfilling scene work. Our last class together will be an open class during which you will perform your scene for an invited audience.

Enrollment Information
The price of admission for each 10-week session is $250. Included in that price is a copy of Larry Silverberg’s book, The Meisner Approach, the cost of the rehearsal space and various other course materials. We offer a $50 discount to students and, if you have a skill or can offer a service that might benefit Green Shirt Studio, we may possibly barter towards the cost of the class. Enrollment is limited to 16 students. To reserve your spot, we require a non-refundable $150 deposit (cash or check).

To reserve your spot:
Phone: 773.944.0611
Email: greenshirtstudio@me.com

About Us
We are two highly trained theatre artists with extensive background in the Meisner approach. We have recently completed the first part of our certificate training in Meisner approach from the True Acting Institute of Eckerd College under the tutelage of Larry Silverberg (author of The Sanford Meisner Approach: An Actors Workbook (Volumes 1-4), Loving to Audition, etc.), and we will finish the second half of the program in July of 2009. Here's what Larry says about us:

"Andrew and Sommer are gifted and sensitive theatre artists who have a very personal devotion to the Meisner Approach and to helping actors grow. They both have a sense of urgency about their mission, a mission to help fellow actors, that is wonderful to experience. I know, as a team, Andrew and Sommer are going to make a very big difference in the lives of the actors they work with and with their contribution, the Chicago theatre community will simply be a better place." --Larry Silverberg

FAQs
I’m an improviser. What does Meisner training have to do with me?
The Meisner approach is improvisational in nature so it serves as a perfect bridge between improv and script based performance. This technique is also excellent at fostering true spontaneity, getting performers to trust their impulses, getting performers out of their heads and many other skills that are essential to improvisers. Simply put: Meisner training will help your Improv. Additionally, sketch writers and playwrights will gain a huge amount of insight into dramatic structure and the kind of elements that make a good scene as they participate in and watch the exercises.

Who is the Meisner work for?
Meisner trained everyone from seasoned performers to absolute newcomers. As long as a student is dedicated and diligent, the gifts of this work can be tremendous.

I’ve heard that Meisner training is all about crying and throwing chairs. Why would I want to be around that?
There are a lot of horror stories out there about Meisner work and, frankly, a lot of teachers who perpetuate these myths. Unlike many other approaches, this training does NOT encourage students to recall traumatic events or anything else that could be potentially harmful to the student. We work hard to foster a supportive, nurturing environment and have no agenda beyond helping fellow performers grow artistically. We believe that an acting class must not be a therapy session and your training with us will not be one.

There are a lot of other Meisner teachers around, so why should I study with you?
We are passionate about this work and are currently working towards a Meisner Teaching certification through master teacher Larry Silverberg. In addition to that unique credential, studying with us will give you the benefit of having two highly trained professionals working in tandem to guide you through the training. Not to mention, we're an inexpensive alternative to a lot of the other training programs in town.

How do I get to the classroom space?
The rehearsal space is within walking distance of the Montrose and Damen brown line stops. The Damen bus stops 1 ½ blocks away. There is also ample parking.

To reserve a spot, call us at 773.944.0611 or e-mail us at: greenshirtstudio@me.com