PDA

View Full Version : 87 protesters walk out on a live solo show

leo
04-23-2007, 04:56 AM
http://www.mikedaisey.com/2007/04/night-to-remember.sht

And it was filmed. He handled it pretty well, I think. From what I've read, it's a loosely scripted show, so as soon as the protest happened (and one of the protesters poured water all over his notes) he addressed the protesters then held court with the audience, talking about what just happened.

The kicker for me is this insight from his blog:

And it wounded me in my heart, because I trusted these people... They've made me afraid of my audience, afraid of my craft, just the smallest amount, and that's the trust I will have to relearn tonight and every night. That's the work--the only way out is through, I tell my students, and it is true for me and it is true for everybody.

rachelblewis
04-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Wow. I am confused. Why did they leave? He said they were the Christian right. But how offensive is his show? What is the big deal?

-R

schaefe
04-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Wow, that was just, just crazy!

Now, I do not know what was performed prior to that part of the New York Monologue that was shown on the site, but what I saw was pretty tame.

(Spoiler-riffic Deets below)

The only thing that he did, was this: He was making a joke about the hubris of New York to call itself the greatest city on the planet, and marketing itself to the point that you will take things that you buy in NYC saying just how great it is back to your own (and thereby "lesser") town. He compared it to fucking Paris Hilton, and how you might think that is great, but she's just thinking "Wow, I'm Paris Hilton". Which was the whole joke.

At that point, the two groups got up and walked out, one guy picking up his water glass and essentially "pissing" all over his show outline. While he was very, very upset about this, I thought he handled it pretty well, and and followed through with the show, dispite the disruption.

Craziness.

cyncast
04-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Wow.
Thats some shit.

I think that is an actors worse nightmare.
He handled it really well.
I don't what I would have done!?

stetsko
04-23-2007, 04:41 PM
What I don't get is that this happened at the ART, for chrissakes. And one of the experimental spaces at the ART at that. Your general Tuesday night at the ART is way more left-wing weirdo than anything this guy did or does on stage (at least based off the reviews I've read).

If the guy weren't so obviously upset, I'd almost think it was a publicity stunt.

Maybe the weirdos got the wrong theater? Because I'm sure that somewhere in Cambridge there's a show about gay abortion that involves dancing phalluses and a naked woman covered in baby food screaming "Bush is Hitler. God is dead. Long live Nintendo."

K.

proxy
04-23-2007, 04:44 PM
That's Antigone, right?

Outsider Guy
04-23-2007, 04:47 PM
They apparently objected to Daisey's use of the F-bomb. So they destroyed his notes.

Good Christians, all.

Hicks
04-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Interesting that it was in Cambridge. Ah the A.R.T. It didn't seem like protesters as much as it was a school group that was offended and left. However I am pretty disgusted at the guy who poured water all over the work. That's practically assault in my book and would incur my full wrath. If you don't like something leave. Don't attack the work.

EdO
04-23-2007, 05:01 PM
I can clear up all this confusion about the show's content. It just so happens that the entire incident was caught on tape. I think you can clearly understand after viewing this, the audience's discomfort with the language and content.

http://www.mikedaisey.com/video/kjh.htm (http://www.devilducky.com/media/60668/)

Hicks
04-23-2007, 05:09 PM
That's fine if you are uncomfortable with language and content. Then 1. Find out what exactly you are going to see before seeing it. 2. Don't pour shit on the actor and his notes. That's weak sauce.

EdO
04-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Here's the REAL link.

http://www.universalhub.com/node/8478

(I'm guessing Hicks didn't watch the first one)

stonelake
04-23-2007, 05:57 PM
John Hodgman's blog (http://areasofmyexpertise.blogspot.com/2007/04/go-applaud-mike-daisey.html#2608208419731987224) on the incident.

Note the comments, not only for their content but for their unusually un-blog-like civility.

Telfer
04-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I just saw that too Stonelake, and I put him in my RSS feeds, because John Hodgman is awesome all the time.

Outsider Guy
04-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Not sure if this came up yet or not, but I just found this info, which comes from someone who was working the show that night:

"Just to clarify: it was a choir from a Christian school on tour from somewhere in California. I'm 99% sure it wasn't planned. It was primarily about "objectionable" language, but if you watch the video carefully, you'll see that it's the joke about Paris Hilton that REALLY triggered the water incident. There was another school group there that night that I was doing a post show with, and a couple of them thought the whole thing was part of the show."

davec
04-23-2007, 06:25 PM
I would have slapped them.

Amanda
04-23-2007, 06:59 PM
I just heard about it/watched this yesterday. Folks here know about him 'cause he's a Seattle guy. You can see how hurt and shocked he was--which I think is great. I mean, I don't think it's great that these assholes violated his performance--but I think it's great that as a performer, he was vulnerable enough to be affected in a way that wasn't just pissed. He was so available that he was able to do more than just yell. He was able to try to have a dialogue with the fucking idiots that left and then to have that whole (very necessary) discussion with the audience. After reading that segment of his blog entry that was posted, I hope he is able to trust the audience again--each time he gets on stage. It will only make him a better performer.
Uggh, Christians. Pbbbttt.

leo
04-23-2007, 07:34 PM
John Hodgman's blog (http://areasofmyexpertise.blogspot.com/2007/04/go-applaud-mike-daisey.html#2608208419731987224) on the incident.

Note the comments, not only for their content but for their unusually un-blog-like civility.
It's weird, because even the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IeMtQ-SZtA">YouTube comments</a> on this matter are (mostly) civilized. Christians are chiming in with how ashamed they are at how this group decided to express themselves. <i>YouTube comments</i>.

What kills me, is that I still have no idea what the group was protesting. The material? The cussing? Paris Hilton? What good's a protest if no-one knows what you're against?

Monahan
04-23-2007, 07:38 PM
It seems clear upon reading more that this was not a "protest" but rather a group of offended individuals leaving the show as a collective... in an openly hostile kinda way.

jimfath
04-23-2007, 07:57 PM
He should have just said "Welcome To New York Assholes!"

I still don't know if this was staged or not... Hard to tell.. Doesn't seem that objectionable to me. And if those people live in some kind of bubble where it would be offensive to them then WHY would they be at that show in the first place? I can't really gauge his reaction either... I'm a skeptical jerk though.

Hendo
04-23-2007, 08:10 PM
If it wasn't planned, then it begs the question... how many of those 87 were genuinely outraged enough to walk out, and how many were just sheep following then herd?

Monahan
04-23-2007, 09:02 PM
If it wasn't planned, then it begs the question... how many of those 87 were genuinely outraged enough to walk out, and how many were just sheep following then herd?

Um, if they were a student group as has been reported, then all it takes is the teachers/chaperones saying "let's go, c'mon!" and the entire group moves.

Edison
04-23-2007, 09:18 PM
'Group mind' or knee-jerk institutionalized thinking ?

You make the call.

stonelake
04-23-2007, 09:22 PM
"poor vetting of activities by a group's social planner"

steve laz
04-24-2007, 01:46 AM
Not that I would search out shows like this on Metromix, but wouldn't a performance like his point out in it's listings that "mature subject matter" will be discussed or something to that affect? I have seen shows with adult topics and knew that going in. Of course, I wouldn't walk out because the performer mentions the word fuck, Paris Hilton; sure, but fuck, no.
I do agree that the water being poured on his notes did cross the line from "freedom of choice" to being "criminal assault". I hope that school group are proud of themselves.
To finish on a more serious thought, things like this remind me of something my Theology teacher quoted to my class in high school....and I am paraphrasing this; " the reason non-Christians hate Christians is because they are not good Christians to begin with".