PDA

View Full Version : Hillary w/ Ted Danson on CNN

Captain Bob
03-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Have you seen that video with Hillary Clinton on a plane with Ted Danson and Mary Steinburgen?

It looks to me as though she is saying
"Look at my friends. I'm paying these people to support me and to hopefully get people to support me. Is this desperate?"

thoughts?

robbersean
03-03-2008, 07:48 PM
I had kind of the same thought when I saw the Jack Nicholson Hillary ad where they took a bunch of old clips from Nicholson movies, and then followed it up with Jack saying "I'm Jack Nicholson, and I approve this message."

I realize that there's something of a pop culture gap between the Clinton campaign, and the Obama campaign, and I realize that the races on Tuesday are must-wins for the Clintons, but honestly, I could care less about whether or not a celebrity supports a candidate.

A Nobel prize winner, a Senator, an economist- those people's opinions, maybe, but the guy from Cheers?

Not as much.

Captain Bob
03-03-2008, 10:57 PM
I agree with that, but it seems so obvious to me that Hillary is trying (too hard) to appeal to the pop-culture voter. It's something that comes a little easier to Obama because the younger, more pop-culture driven market sees him as the Underdog and the candidate that inspire and insure a change with the way things are run.

I am not into to politics at all, but seeing the options that are out there today it would seem that Obama is the best choice for anyone with an open mind and a desire for good to win over evil.

He seems like the exact opposite of the jerk who is in office today.
I hope he wins and actually does make a change for the better.

that's my opinion. The opinion of someone not very informed or interested in doing tons of research about the candidates... I just see what they do in a pop-culture setting.

hooray for new media!

stevescholz
03-04-2008, 04:22 AM
Bob,

Even without seeing Ted and Mary with Sen. Clinton, I've felt the same way about nearly all the "Hillary New Media" that I've seen. It seems forced, whereas the stuff for Obama seem inspired.

Will.i.am did the "Yes We Can" video. Not because Obama's campaign paid him, but because he felt moved to do it.

Sen. Clinton's campaign has this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FvyGydc8no

A lot of musicians and bands are supporting Obama (including Stevie Wonder, Jeff Tweedy and Arcade Fire) and they've been actively doing shows for him.

The Clinton campaign officially produced this "viral" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA8Wy51Ionk

There's a giant generation gap between the two campaigns. One seems to understand the Internet and the other seems to be grasping for attention.

But I wouldn't count out Sen. Clinton yet. We'll know she's beyond desperate when she wheels out Fleetwood Mac to play "Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow."

Steve

Biddle
03-04-2008, 04:32 PM
The Nicholson video made me think, "This lazy fuck didn't even bother to shoot anything new for this candidate. And it opened with him playing a total whackjob in the Batman movie." How much can you be behind a candidate, when you don't bother to show up for the commercial shoot?

I watched Hillary Clinton on The Daily Show last night and I was struck by two things...

First, she looks tired. And beaten. Like she's just going through the motions, but her heart really isn't in it anymore. I frequently see the same look on Bush's face. Exhaustion.

Second, Jon Stewart did an admirable job of treating her with dignity, even after raking her over the coals in the campaign wrap-up section of the show. The points he made about this being a monumental election, regardless of who won, sounded like a very nice, early consolation prize. "You did pretty good kid...for a woman."

I'm ready to see Obama on TDS.

smaher78
03-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Politicians making sincere but awkward gestures to a demographic that is not thier own is nothing new. Especially if that demographic isn't considered politically inclined.

I hope there is a message board of wealthy white Republicans that saying the same things about Obama as we type. That would be awesome.

Sarah

robbersean
03-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Politicians making sincere but awkward gestures to a demographic that is not thier own is nothing new. Especially if that demographic isn't considered politically inclined.

I hope there is a message board of wealthy white Republicans that saying the same things about Obama as we type. That would be awesome.

Sarah

I found it (Republican message board discussing Obama):

http://www.uspoliticsonline.com/political-parties-campaigns-elections/43832-life-long-republican-thinking-about-voting-obama.html

Biddle
03-04-2008, 11:00 PM
I found it (Republican message board discussing Obama):

http://www.uspoliticsonline.com/political-parties-campaigns-elections/43832-life-long-republican-thinking-about-voting-obama.html

That was like watching the "Mirror Mirror" episode of Star Trek, only it was about CIN. The layout was pretty much the same, the comic book character avatars, the eagle status symbols, the linkable signatures, the crazy angry people referencing any crazy-ass thing that they can think of to make their point in their politico thread. I think I even saw a guy who looked liked Jorin, only he had this dark, black goatee. Not like the Jorin we know at all.

Shudder.

Nick
03-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Is this the video where she's holding a beer awkwardly in her hand? She looks really out of place with that, almost like someone was like, "here, hold this red plastic kegger cup and drink some busch light. It'll make you more human." Psh, only Bill could pull that off. Five points to Obama if he takes a shot mid-press conference.